Napa Valley is known for its incredible natural beauty. The county in Northern California is also a world-renowned wine region. It boasts more than 450 wineries that produce classic, delicious, and high quality wines like oaked Chardonnays, fruity Merlots, and spicy Shiraz.
From a fabulous weekend wine tasting trip, to a romantic week-long getaway, Napa is the ultimate vacation destination. You can relax among blooming vineyards, whilst sipping the rarest of wine varieties.
If you’re planning a vacation, or weekend getaway, then consider Napa Valley. Even if you aren’t really that into wine, one visit to Napa Valley’s famous wineries will make you fall in love. And if you are already a wine lover, or want to become a great sommelier, or just want to learn more about this luxury beverage, treat yourself with Napa Valley wine tours.
There are hundreds of Napa Valley wineries that you could explore during your vacation. If you are a first-time traveler to Napa Valley, or have visited before, but did not get the chance to enjoy a splendid wine tour in Napa Valley, here are twenty of the most stunning wineries in Napa, that you can’t afford to miss.
Top 20 Wineries In The Napa Valley
1. Beringer Vineyards
One of the oldest wineries in Napa Valley, and the first one to offer public tours, Beringer still stands amongst the top wineries in the valley. Take a tour through the sumptuous rhine house with historic architecture, exploring the art of wine and food pairing, and enjoying exclusive wines from the winery.
- Tours and Tastings – Tastings ($50 per person) offered daily at 10:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 3:30 p.m.. Other options include a one hour tour of the property, with a wine educator telling you about the winemaking process, and the art of wine and food pairing.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, library reserve tastings, wine cave, picnic grounds, bocce ball, Club Member Lounge, and wine and food pairings.
- Address – 2000 Main St, St. Helena CA 94574
2. Peju Winery
A magical wine destination, Peju Winery is focused on offering great hospitality to all their guests, and is known for crafting some of Napa Valley’s most superb estate grown wines.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Various options available for wine tasting including Alan’s Cabernet Cabaret, a newly introduced one costing $45 per person; a Classic Tasting, costing $35 per person; a Reserve Tasting for $85 per person; Private Tastings for $50-$100 per person; and a Winery Tour and Reserve Tasting for $125 per person.
- Highlights – Gardens, barrel tastings, pets not allowed, and wheelchair accessible.
- Address – 8466 St. Helena Hwy, Rutherford CA 94573
3. Sterling Vineyards
The next must-see winery on the list is Sterling Vineyards. Not only do they offer exceptional varieties of wine, but also panoramic views of the Napa Valley. On your arrival, you will be hailed in a classic style by offered a glass of wine.
Visit the winery in style by climbing through the aerial gondola, while gazing at the splendid views of South View Terrace. Fall in love with the Mediterranean style architecture, and savor a glass of yummy wine.
- Tours and Tastings – Open Monday to Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturday to Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Choose from three tasting experiences: the Sterling Silver Experience costs $40 per person, general admission costs $30 per person, (and includes aerial tram, self-guided tour of the winery’s lower area, terrace views, and tasting of current releases), and their Cheese and Charcuterie Platters cost $30 per person.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, family friendly, art gallery, wine education classes, club member lounge, and wine and food pairings.
- Address – 1111 Dunaweal Lane, Calistoga CA 94515
4. Dutch Henry Winery
Owned by Scott Chafen, the winery was listed as one of the top five wineries in Napa by The Wall Street Journal. It is popular for its handcrafted wines, and specializes in different types of wine, including Syrah, Pinot Noir, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, and Bordeaux Blend.
Tastings happen in the winery tasting room, and the reserve takes you through the inside workings of the winery.
- Tours and Tastings – Open 7 days a week from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Indulge in a Current Release Tasting, which costs $25 for six wines; a Tasting and Cave Tour, which costs $45 for tasting six wines, or a Reserve Tour and Tasting, which costs $85 per person.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, wine cave, bocce ball, wine education classes, and pet friendly.
- Address – 4300 Silverado Trail, Calistoga CA 94515
5. Domaine Chandon Winery
Started by Moet Hennessy, Domaine Chandon is a leading producer of sparkling wine in America. Along with the winery tour, you will also learn about the winery’s history, the process of wine-making, and the distinctive wines of Domaine Chandon.
Enjoy sipping wine in their stylish tasting lounge, which features a bar, cocktail table, and shaded patio table.
- Tours and Tastings – Daily tastings offered between 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pet friendly, wedding facilities, and Club Member Lounge.
- Address – 1 California Drive, Yountville CA 94599
6. Staglin Family Vineyard
This family-owned winery was founded in 1985 by Shari, Garen, Brandon, and Shannon Staglin. The wines produced here reflect the historic character of the Rutherford Bench estate property. The varietal wines include Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Bordeaux style blend, and Chardonnay.
- Tours and Tastings – Private tours and tastings are held between 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, library reserve tastings, wedding and meeting facilities.
- Address – 1570 Bella Oaks Lane, Rutherford CA 94573
7. Goosecross Cellars
Goosecross is known for creating handcrafted, and quality wines. Enjoy five of their latest releases inside their barrel cellar, where you can sip, socialize, and learn about the history of wine, style of winemaking, and the techniques of tasting.
- Tours and Tastings – The winery is open daily from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The cost of a Goosecross Cellar tasting is $20 per person, and a semi-private tasting with a vineyard view costs $30 per person.
- Highlights – Pets allowed, handicap accessible, wine and food pairings, picnic grounds, and wedding and meeting facilities.
- Address – 1119 State Lane, Yountville CA 94599
8. V. Sattui Winery
Another family-owned winery, V. Sattui produces over 60 different kinds of wine. It is a beautiful place, perfect for organizing picnics, events, and weddings. It was declared, “Winemaker of the Year,” in 2015 by the American Fine Wine Competition.
- Tours and Tastings – Daily tastings happen from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the summer, along with a barbeque on the weekends. Tastings from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the winter.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pets allowed, wine and food pairings, club member lounge.
- Address – 1111 White Lane, St. Helena CA 94574
9. Bennett Lane Winery
The perfect place to enjoy red wines at exciting price. The location of the winery yields the best quality grapes. Enjoy the elegant, and rich flavored wines of Bennett Lane Winery in their tasting room.
For club members, there are special perks, like a free tasting on every visit, pre-release access to wines, access to private winery events, and discounts on future releases of wine.
- Tours and Tastings – Reservation only by appointment. Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Two tasting flights available: the Signature Flight, which costs $15 per flight; and the Reserve Flight, which costs $40 per flight.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pet friendly, library reserve tastings, and wine education classes.
- Address – 3340 Hwy. 128, Calistoga CA 94515
10. Beaulieu Vineyard
Popular for producing some of the world’s finest wines, Beaulieu was named, “One of the Best Napa Valley Wineries to Visit,” by Food & Wine magazine.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Maestro Tasting (Includes limited production wines) costing $20 + taxes per person; Premier Maestro Tasting (includes popular and rare wines of the winery) costing $30+ taxes per person; Reserve Tasting (includes exclusives of Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and Clone Series Cabernet Sauvignon) costing $40 + Taxes per person; and Retrospective Reserve Tasting (Library Vintage Cabernet Sauvignon) costing $60 + taxes per person. Historic tour and barrel tasting are other ways to indulge in wine tasting experience.
- Highlights – Club member lounge, handicap accessible, and library reserve tastings.
- Address – 1960 St. Helena Hwy, Rutherford CA 94573
11. Provenance And Hewitt Vineyard
This winery specializes in small lot Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, and Merlot. Enjoy wine tasting in Provenance’s tasting room, or while gazing at the views from their lounge, or patio. Taste Hewitt Vineyard’s exclusive, elegant Cabernet Sauvignon, which is crafted in a unique way. The resulting wine is a deep black cherry color, with hints of cocoa, black olive, and cedar.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Provenance offers three styles of wine tasting: Provenance Classic Tasting, costing $25 + taxes per person; Provenance Reserve tasting, costing $30 + taxes per person; and Provenance Patio Tasting, costing + taxes per person. Wine tasting tours also available at Hewitt Vineyard, by appointment only.
- Highlights – Pet friendly, handicap accessible, and library reserve tastings.
- Address – 1695 St. Helena Hwy South, Rutherford CA 94573
12. Charles Krug Winery
Established in 1861, the Charles Krug Winery was named as one of the, “Top 10 California Tasting Experiences,” by Food & Wine magazine. The winery features rustic, yet modern architecture with high ceilings, large windows, and a large wall of wines. You can taste wine in a sitting arrangement, or opt for a standing tasting option.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A Classic Tasting includes a flight of 5 of the winery’s most popular wines for $20. The Family Reserve and Limited Release Tasting includes 5 small-lot, limited edition reserve wines for $40. You can also taste barrel samples of their special Cabernet Sauvignon for just $15. A Tour and Tasting package is also available, by reservation, for $60 per person.
- Highlights – Wine and food pairings, handicap accessible, picnic and wedding facilities, and library reserve tastings.
- Address – 2800 Main Street, St. Helena CA 94574
13. Newton Vineyard
Established in 1977, Newton Vineyard specializes in Chardonnay and red Bordeaux varieties. The winery gives you a superb view of natural surroundings, in the form of terraced vineyards.
- Tours and Tastings – Open from 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tasting Tours available by appointment only for $50 per person. Vineyard tasting tours are also available on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, (for $100 per person), from May until October.
- Highlights – Library reserve tastings, expansive gardens, wine cave, handicap accessible, wine and food pairings, and meeting and wedding facilities.
- Address – 2555 Madrona Avenue, St. Helena CA 94574
14. Holman Cellars
This family-owned winery, (which was first started in a horse barn, as a small project), has now grown into a full-time passion. Today, it stands as one of the top wineries in the Napa Valley, focusing on terroir-driven specialty wines.
- Tours and Tastings – Tastings available by appointment only. Tastings are $25-$40 per person, and include handcrafted charcuterie, breads, chocolates, and cheeses.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pets allowed, art gallery, and wine and food pairings.
- Address – 190 Camino Oruga #9, Napa CA 94558
15. Chimney Rock Winery
Recognized as one of the top producers of fine wine in the world, Chimney Rock located in the Stags Leap District, specializes in Cabernet Sauvignon, and Bordeaux blends. Lose yourself to the Cape Dutch inspired architecture of its buildings, and winery.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. They offer a variety of different tastings and tours, including a Classic Wine Tasting, a Flagship Vertical Tasting, and an Estate Tour and Barrel Tasting. Some experiences are only available on the weekends, seasonally, or weather-permitting. Costs range from $50 to $145 per person. Reservations required.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pets allowed, art gallery, wine and food pairings, club member lounge, wedding facilities, meeting facilities, and picnic grounds.
- Address – 5350 Silverado Trail, Napa CA 94558
16. Midsummer Cellars
Established in 2000, the winery specializes in producing Cabernet Sauvignon from four different vineyards – Cañon Creek, Clark-Claudon, Haystack Peak, and Tomasson.
- Tours and Tastings – Tastings and tours available by appointment only, for $20 per person.
- Highlights – Wine tasting tours, wine club, futures program.
- Address – 264 North Crystal Springs Rd, St. Helena CA 94574
17. Crosby Roamann
Founded in 2006, Crosby Roamann is a boutique winery, producing less than a thousand cases per year. Wines are handmade, and aged in barrels for six months to three years.
- Tours and Tastings – Tastings available by appointment only, twice a day, (late in the morning, and early in the afternoon). Tastings cost $40 per person, and include a guided tour of the winery, and samples of their wines from both bottles and barrels.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, pet friendly, art gallery, food and wine pairings, and library reserve tastings.
- Address – 45 Enterprise Ct. #6, Napa CA 94558
18. Mumm Napa Winery
Enjoy sparkling wines from Mumm Napa by choosing one of their unique tasting or tour experiences.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Patio and Salon Tastings are available for $20-$28 per person, and Oak Terrace Tastings for $50/person for guests and $40/person for club members. Walking tours of the winery cost $40 per person (for guests), and include a tasting and flute.
- Highlights – Winery tour, fine art photography gallery, wine and food pairings, handicap accessible, and pet friendly.
- Address – 8445 Silverado Trail, Rutherford CA 94573
19. Clos Pegase Winery
A classic Napa Valley winery with award-winning architecture. Clos Pegase is very popular for their estate wines, and luxurious hospitality.
- Tours and Tastings – Open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There are four kinds of tasting experiences to choose from: Pegase Circle Flight, offering five current release wines for $25 per person; Connoisseur Cave Tour and Tasting for $60 per person; Bento Box Picnic for outdoor tasting for $50 per person; and Cabernet Tasting for $50 per person. Discounts available for club members.
- Highlights – The Heritage Garden, handicap accessible, library reserve tastings, wine caves, and picnic grounds.
- Address – 1060 Dunaweal Lane, Calistoga CA 94515
20. Joseph Phelps Vineyards
Dedicated to crafting top class estate grown wines, Joseph Phelps Vineyards is a family owned winery founded in 1973. It is home to 390 acres of vines, and is best known for their Insignia, a flagship wine which is a blend of varieties of red Bordeaux. Other specialities include Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Wine tasting experiences at Joseph Phelps are unbeatable. You can sit in the tasting room, or on the terrace to savor every sip of your wine while looking at gorgeous view of the vineyards. Wine and cheese pairing sessions offered every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Tours and Tastings – Open 7 days a week. Various tour and tasting experiences available, by appointment only, for $75 – $200 per person.
- Highlights – Handicap accessible, picnic ground, and library reserve tastings and tours.
- Address – 200 Taplin Road, St. Helena CA 94574
Whether you’re a wine enthusiast, avid traveler, or just looking for a great weekend getaway, don’t let your travel diaries miss the stunning wineries of Napa Valley. And don’t forget, there are 400+ more wineries in the region, in addition to those mentioned above, each of them unique in their own way.
Indulge yourself with a relaxing, romantic, and luxurious Napa Valley wine tasting tour. But be careful! You may never want to come back to the hustle and bustle of daily life. Do you have some other destination, or itinerary in mind? Just get in touch! We would love to assist you with planning your own custom wine tours.